NMS


 

Record

Aeroplane engine

< 28 of 8498 > Back
Aeroplane engine
Add to album

This Le Rhone aero engine was made in 1917 by W.M. Allen & Co Ltd. It was mounted on an Avro 504 two-seat training aircraft. It is shown mounted on a frame supporting the nose section of the Avro 504 and is cutaway to give an impression of how a rotary engine works.

The nine-cylinder 110-horsepower engine has a capacity of 15 litres. The cylinders and crankcase rotate around a fixed crankshaft with the propeller fixed to the engine, an arrangement which permits rapid cooling of the cylinders. The unit is linked to an electric motor to turn the engine.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 28 of 8498 > Back