NMS


 

Record

Punch bowl (detail)

< 290 of 428 > Back

made in Greenock, Renfrewshire

Punch bowl (detail)
Add to album

This detail shows the mark of the Clyde Pottery Company of Greenock in Renfrewshire. It is on the base of a transfer-printed, lustre-glazed earthenware punch bowl, made between 1863 and 1900.

The mark consists of a wreath of lily of the valley with the pattern name 'THE LILY OF THE VALLEY' in the centre. The company initials 'C.P.Co' are underneath.

A pottery at Greenock was established in 1815 under the title of 'The Clyde Pottery Company'. It was run by Thomas Shirley & Co from the 1840s until 1857. Thereafter, it continued as the Clyde Pottery Company Ltd until 1863. From then until 1900 it was known as the Clyde Pottery Company and from 1900 until its closure in 1905, it reverted back to Clyde Pottery Company Ltd.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 290 of 428 > Back