NMS


 

Record

Dish (detail)

< 125 of 668 > Back

made in Glasgow

Dish (detail)
Add to album

This detail shows the mark of John Thomson of Annfield Pottery in Glasgow's Gallowgate. It is on the base on a transfer-printed and lustred earthenware dish dating from the late 19th century.

The mark consists of two concentric circles surrounded by laurel wreaths on either side and a crown on the top. The inscription contained within the circles reads 'CHANTILLY/J. T. & SONS'.

By the middle of the 19th century, the area of Glasgow and the Clyde basin was undoubtedly the heartland of the Scottish pottery industry, with several large pottery firms. Annfield Pottery operated from about 1826 to 1887.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 125 of 668 > Back