Record

Bowl (1 of 2)

< 7 of 48 > Back

made in Greenock, Renfrewshire

Postcard of Bowl (1 of 2).
000-190-002-168-C
© National Museums Scotland

Bowl (1 of 2)

This transfer-printed earthenware bowl made by the Clyde Pottery Company of Greenock in Renfrewshire. It dates from between 1863 and 1900.

The pattern is called 'HEATHER BELL'. The lower half of the bowl is decorated with a pattern of roses, nasturtiums and heather bells.

A pottery at Greenock was established in 1815 under the title of 'The Clyde Pottery Company'. It was run by Thomas Shirley & Co from the 1840s until 1857. Thereafter, it continued as the Clyde Pottery Company Ltd until 1863. From then until 1900 it was known as the Clyde Pottery Company and from 1900 until its closure in 1905, it reverted back to Clyde Pottery Company Ltd.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-190-002-168-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.MEK 611
Date: 1863 - 1900
Between 1863 and 1900
Material: White glazed earthenware. Inscription: HEATHER BELL / C.P. & Co
Dimensions: 130 mm H x 200 mm D (base) x 370 mm D (rim)
What: Bowl
Subject: Post-medieval pottery and porcelain (NMAS Classification)
Who: Clyde Pottery Co. (Maker)
Where: Scotland, Renfrewshire, Greenock
Event:
Description: White glazed earthenware bowl with blue transfer print, the lower half of the bowl is decorated with a pattern of roses, nasturtiums and heather bells, made by Clyde Pottery, Greenock, 1863 - 1900
References:
  • Boa V, Denholm P, Quail G. The Clyde Pottery. Greenock 1860-1905. Inverclyde District Libraries: 1987 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 7 of 48 > Back
 
Powered by Scran