NMS


 

Record

Ashet

< 31 of 2192 > Back

probably made in Bo'ness, West Lothian

Ashet
Add to album

This cream glazed earthenware ashet was made between around 1826 and 1860, probably by J. Jamieson of Bo'ness in West Lothian.

The ashet is decorated with a transfer-printed pattern called 'Bosphorus'.

Good supplies of coal and clay and easy transport by sea meant that the south side of the Firth of Forth was an ideal location for potteries to develop. Small-scale works existed there from the 17th century and larger factories developed from around 1750.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 31 of 2192 > Back