Record

Ashet

< 4 of 91 > Back

made in Greenock, Renfrewshire

Postcard of Ashet.
000-180-002-441-C
© National Museums Scotland

Ashet

This is the underside of an earthenware ashet made in the second half of the 19th century, probably by Clyde Pottery Co. of Greenock in Renfrewshire. The underside is inscribed 'GONDOLA', the name of the transfer-printed pattern on the front of the ashet.

A pottery at Greenock was established in 1815 under the title of 'The Clyde Pottery Company'. It was run by Thomas Shirley & Co from the 1840s until 1857. Thereafter, it continued as the Clyde Pottery Company Ltd until 1863. From then until 1900 it was known as the Clyde Pottery Company and from 1900 until its closure in 1905, it reverted back to Clyde Pottery Company Ltd.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-002-441-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  
Date: Second half of the 19th century
Material:
Dimensions:
What:
Subject:
Who:
Where:
Event:
Description:
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 4 of 91 > Back
 
Powered by Scran