Record

Ashet

< 3 of 91 > Back

made in Greenock, Renfrewshire

Postcard of Ashet.
000-180-002-440-C
© National Museums Scotland

Ashet

This earthenware ashet was made in the second half of the 19th century, probably by Clyde Pottery Co. of Greenock in Renfrewshire.

The oval-shaped ashet is decorated with a transfer print pattern called 'Gondola' with a large picture in the centre of a canal with several boats.

A pottery at Greenock was established in 1815 under the title of 'The Clyde Pottery Company'. It was run by Thomas Shirley & Co from the 1840s until 1857. Thereafter, it continued as the Clyde Pottery Company Ltd until 1863. From then until 1900 it was known as the Clyde Pottery Company and from 1900 until its closure in 1905, it reverted back to Clyde Pottery Company Ltd.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-002-440-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.MEK 612
Date: Second half of the 19th century
Material: White earthenware. Inscription: GONDOLA
Dimensions: 400 mm approx W
What:
Subject: Post-medieval pottery and porcelain (NMAS Classification)
Who: Clyde Pottery Co.?, Greenock (Maker)
Where: Scotland, Renfrewshire, Greenock
Event:
Description: Oval-shaped ashet of white earthenware, decorated with blue transfer print pattern and a large picture in the centre of a canal with several boats, probably by Clyde Pottery Co. of Greenock
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 3 of 91 > Back
 
Powered by Scran