NMS


 

Record

Miniature mug, with Stanley coat of arms

< 238 of 428 > Back

made in Glasgow

Miniature mug, with Stanley coat of arms
Add to album

This porcelain miniature mug is decorated with the coat of arms of Stanley in Perthshire. It was made for the souvenir market by the Nautilus Porcelain Company at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow and dates from between around 1900 and 1910.

The arms consist of a four-segment heraldic shield flanked by a man on the left and a lion on the right. The motto below the shield reads 'FORTH FORTUNE AND FILL THE FETTERS'.

Crested china became the most important type of British souvenir between 1900 and 1930. Its invention is credited to William Henry Goss (1833-1906), the owner of the Falcon Works in Stoke-on Trent. The main producer of crested china in Scotland was the Nautilus Porcelain Company, at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow. Run by the china merchants MacDougall & Sons, of 77-79 Buchanan Street, the company produced 'Nautilus' miniatures between around 1900 and 1910. The pottery closed in 1911.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 238 of 428 > Back