NMS


 

Record

Miniature cauldron, with Newburgh coat of arms

< 6 of 46 > Back

made in Glasgow

Miniature cauldron, with Newburgh coat of arms
Add to album

This porcelain miniature cauldron is decorated with the Newburgh coat of arms. It was made for the souvenir market by the Nautilus Porcelain Company at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow and dates from between around 1900 and 1910.

The arms consist of a thistle ensigned with an imperial crown, with a cross beneath the thistle. The cross may be an ecclesiastical emblem in memory of the ancient Abbey of Lindores or it may refer to two ancient crosses in the parish - the Cross of Mugdrum or the Cross Macduff.

Crested china became the most important type of British souvenir between 1900 and 1930. Its invention is credited to William Henry Goss (1833-1906), the owner of the Falcon Works in Stoke-on Trent. The main producer of crested china in Scotland was the Nautilus Porcelain Company, at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow. Run by the china merchants MacDougall & Sons, of 77-79 Buchanan Street, the company produced 'Nautilus' miniatures between around 1900 and 1910. The pottery closed in 1911.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 6 of 46 > Back