NMS


 

Record

Miniature jug, with Dundee coat of arms

< 225 of 428 > Back

made in Glasgow

Miniature jug, with Dundee coat of arms
Add to album

This porcelain miniature jug is decorated with the Dundee coat of arms. It was made for the souvenir market by the Nautilus Porcelain Company at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow and dates from between around 1900 and 1910.

The arms consist of a pot of lilies flanked by two griffins. The white lily is one of two flowers connected with the Virgin Mary (the other being the rose). The Latin motto 'PRUDENTIA ET CANDORE' translates as 'wisdom and purity' and refers to the virtues of the Virgin.

Crested china became the most important type of British souvenir between 1900 and 1930. Its invention is credited to William Henry Goss (1833-1906), the owner of the Falcon Works in Stoke-on Trent. The main producer of crested china in Scotland was the Nautilus Porcelain Company, at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow. Run by the china merchants MacDougall & Sons, of 77-79 Buchanan Street, the company produced 'Nautilus' miniatures between around 1900 and 1910. The pottery closed in 1911.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 225 of 428 > Back