Record

Ampulla (2nd side)

< 1 of 16 > Back

found near Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh

Postcard of Ampulla (2nd side).
000-180-001-951-C
© National Museums Scotland

Ampulla (2nd side)

This lead alloy ampulla or pilgrim's flask was found near Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh. It dates from the early 13th century.

This side is decorated with an unidentified saint holding a book and a pastoral staff.

Ampullae or pilgrim flasks were introduced to Europe from the Holy Land, Egypt and Byzantium, and inspired the production of large numbers of pewter or lead alloy pilgrim flasks in the West. The best known European examples were made at Canterbury and contained 'Canterbury water': water tinged with the merest suspicion of St Thomas Becket's blood. St Thomas was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral in December 1170, and small ampullae containing 'Canterbury water' were available within a few years.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-001-951-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  
Date: Early 13th century
Material:
Dimensions:
What:
Subject:
Who:
Where:
Event:
Description:
References:
  • Evans, G. Souvenirs From Roman Times to the Present Day. Edinburgh: NMS Publishing Ltd, 1999, pp 1-2. 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 1 of 16 > Back
 
Powered by Scran