Record

Peg and hub lining

< 3 of 93 > Back

from Newstead, Roxburghshire

Postcard of Peg and hub lining.
000-180-001-429-C
© National Museums Scotland

Peg and hub lining

This iron peg with an iron hub lining (also known as a nave lining) for a wheel adhering to it was found in a pit with other iron objects during excavations at the site of the Roman fort at Newstead in Roxburghshire. Both date from between 80 and 100 AD.

The flat peg tapers to a point at one end and curls around at the other. The hub lining is hammered into a round shape with the ends overlapping. The two are not functionally related, but have corroded together in the pit.

The Roman army needed blacksmiths to make iron tyres, fittings, and nails, as well as to repair weapons. Often all that is left of the vehicles are metal fittings, bindings and occasionally the tyres.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-001-429-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  X.FRA 483
Date: Between 80 and 100 AD
Material: Heavy
Dimensions:
What: Peg
Subject:
Who: Newstead Collection
Where: Scotland, Roxburghshire, Melrose, Newstead
Event:
Description: Peg from the Roman site at Newstead
References:
  • Curle, J. A Roman frontier post and its people: the fort of Newstead. Glasgow: MacLehose, 1911, p 288, Pl. LXV, 6. 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 3 of 93 > Back
 
Powered by Scran