NMS


 

Record

Microscope

< 206 of 428 > Back

made in Wetzlar, Germany

Microscope
Add to album

By the beginning of the 20th century, more people were using the microscope professionally than ever before. Compared with a century previously, when the largest part of the market had been for entertainment and educational use, the microscope had become the indispensable symbol of the medical practitioner. This instrument was made by one of the large Continental manufacturers, Ernst Leitz, whose factory opened in 1869.

This is a compound achromatic monocular microscope in brass, with an enamelled cast iron two-toed foot. It has a triple-turrent nosepiece for changing objective, and a substage condenser.

This instrument was used in the Institute of Public Health at the University of Edinburgh, according to a silver plate screwed to the foot. The serial number, 53595, was produced between 1899 and 1902.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 206 of 428 > Back