Record

Bowl

< 5 of 26 > Back
Postcard of Bowl.
000-180-000-372-C
© National Museums Scotland

Bowl

This earthenware bowl was identified from sherds from the site of Rathbone's Pottery at Portobello in Midlothian. It dates from around 1820.

The bowl is transfer-printed with a pattern called 'Rustic Houses / Fallow Deer'.

As the 19th century progressed, Portobello became established as a major pottery centre. One of the town's most sophisticated factories was Rathbone's where fine earthenware was made by Thomas Rathbone, his wife Grace and their sons Samuel Robert and James up until 1850.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-000-372-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.1993.49.2
Date: 1932
Around 1820
Material: Inscription: Obv: St Andrew on cross with gothic canopy above; UNIVERSITAS SANCTI ANDREE / MCCCXI [sic]. Rev: Wreath of thistles and laurel surrounding AIEN API[ ]TEYEIN / 1931 - 32. Rim indented with DENTAL MECHANICS / GRAHAM SIMPSON RITCHIE
Dimensions:
What: Medal case
Subject:
Who:
Where: Scotland, Fife, St Andrews
Event:
Description: Original box for prize medal, St Andrews University, 1931 - 1932
References:
  • George Dalgleish (ed), Pots at the 'Pans: The Potteries of Prestonpans, Musselburgh and Portobello. Scottish Mining Museum, 1990 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 5 of 26 > Back
 
Powered by Scran