NMS


 

Record

Miniature loving cup, with Rothesay coat of arms

< 233 of 428 > Back

made in Glasgow

Miniature loving cup, with Rothesay coat of arms
Add to album

This porcelain miniature loving cup is decorated with the coat of arms of Rothesay, on the Isle of Bute. It was made for the souvenir market by the Nautilus Porcelain Company at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow and dates from between around 1900 and 1910.

The loving cup follows the form of a tankard or 'tyg' with three handles. The arms feature an heraldic shield containing a castle with a crescent moon and a star above, and a sailing ship below. The castle represents Rothesay Castle. The ship may refer to the one time very successful herring fishing industry in the area. The star and moon may represent night-time when the fishing took place.

Crested china became the most important type of British souvenir between 1900 and 1930. Its invention is credited to William Henry Goss (1833-1906), the owner of the Falcon Works in Stoke-on Trent. The main producer of crested china in Scotland was the Nautilus Porcelain Company, at the Possil Pottery in Glasgow. Run by the china merchants MacDougall & Sons, of 77-79 Buchanan Street, the company produced 'Nautilus' miniatures between around 1900 and 1910. The pottery closed in 1911.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 233 of 428 > Back