Record

Chair

< 8 of 17 > Back

made in Teschen, Austria; used at Forsyth's, Edinburgh

Postcard of Chair.
000-180-000-019-C
© National Museums Scotland

Chair

This chair was used at R. W. Forsyth at 30 Princes Street in Edinburgh, a famous outfitters which traded between 1906 and 1981. It was made around 1906 by the firm of J. & J. Kohn at Teschen in Austria.

The curved tubular sections of wood were steamed into shape and the moulded plywood seat has an impressed decorative pattern. The seat rail is stamped with the maker's name.

The process of bentwood chair manufacture was developed in Austria in the mid 19th century by Michael Thonet (1796-1871). The Kohn firm was Thonet's principal competitor between 1871 and 1914.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-000-019-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.KNB 63
Date: Around 1906
Material: Wood, oak. Inscription: Underneath: J & J - TESEHEN AUSTRIA
Dimensions: 34.00" H x 16.00" W x 19.00" L
What: Chair, side
Subject:
Who:
Where: Austria, Tesehen
Event:
Description: Cafe style side chair of oak, without arms, with a carved seat, tapering and splayed circular legs, and an oblong backrest
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 8 of 17 > Back
 
Powered by Scran