Record

Aeroplane, Anson

< 18 of 8498 > Back
Postcard of Aeroplane, Anson.
000-100-104-258-C
© National Museums Scotland

Aeroplane, Anson

This aeroplane, the Avro Anson, was built in 1947 and used by the RAF as a general purpose and communications aircraft. It was later used for air survey work. The aircraft was bought for the Strathallan Collection and remained in a flyable condition until 1977 when it was purchased by the Museum in a deteriorated condition.

The low-wing monoplane is powered by two Armstrong Siddeley 'Cheetah' engines. This version of the C.19 was primarily used as a transport aeroplane and was fitted out with a plush interior, including curtains over the windows. The perspex nose was to aid navigation but was also used to train bomb-aiming crews in trainer variants.

The Avro 652 Anson was first built for Imperial Airways as a monoplane transport but attracted the attention of the RAF airstaff who ordered it into service in 1936 as a light bomber or trainer. The Anson was a general purpose workhorse, being used for all manner of tasks. The last example was retired from RAF service in 1968. The design originate from the Avro 618 Ten trimotor, the construction of which was utilised for production of the Anson.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-104-258-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  T.1977.95
Date: 1947
Material:
Dimensions: 684.00" x 504.00" x 166.00"
What: Monoplane
Subject: 1. AERONAUTICS, Aeroplanes (Departmental Classification)
Who: Anson (Personal name)
Armstrong Siddeley (Maker of the engines)
Avro (Maker)
R.A.F. (Owner)
Where: England
Event:
Description: Avro twin-engined, low-wing monoplane, the Anson, built in 1947 and used by the RAF
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 18 of 8498 > Back
 
Powered by Scran