Record

Plate

< 15 of 57 > Back

made in Glasgow

Postcard of Plate.
000-100-103-843-C
© National Museums Scotland

Plate

This glazed earthenware plate was made by the Glasgow potters, J. and M.P. Bell and Company. It has been transfer-printed with the willow pattern and dates from between 1842 and 1880.

A series of variations on the willow pattern were produced, but the pattern traditionally included elements such as a river, a bridge, a pagoda and a willow tree.

This company, which became one of the biggest and best known potteries in Scotland, was founded by the brothers John and Matthew Perston Bell and was in production by 1842. The Glasgow Pottery, or 'Bells' as it was more commonly known, produced a wide range of wares.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-103-843-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.MEK 116
Date: 1842 - 1880
Between 1842 and 1880
Material: Blue and white glazed earthenware. Inscription: J & M.P.B. & Co
Dimensions: 263 mm D
What:
Subject: Post-medieval pottery and porcelain (NMAS Classification)
Who: J. and M.P. Bell and Co. (Maker)
Where: Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Event:
Description: Circular plate of blue and white glazed earthenware in transfer-printed willow pattern, by J. and M.P. Bell and Company, Glasgow, 1842 - 1880
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 15 of 57 > Back
 
Powered by Scran