Record

Communion cup

< 11 of 78 > Back

From Greyfriars Kirk, Edinburgh

Postcard of Communion cup.
000-100-102-900-C
© National Museums Scotland

Communion cup

This silver communion cup is one of a pair from Greyfriars' Kirk in Edinburgh. The pair was made by silversmith John Wardlaw in 1644. Another two cups of the same type were made for Greyfriars' Kirk by Thomas Cleghorne in 1633-5.

The cup is inscribed with the words: 'For the Chvrch of the Svth Vest Parich of Edinbvrghe'.

Opened in 1620, Greyfriars' Kirk was originally known as the 'Church of the South-west Parish of Edinburgh'. It was one of the first three Scottish post-Reformation churches, along with the Tron Kirk in Edinburgh, and Burntisland Church in Fife.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-102-900-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  Q.L.1950.23
Date: 1644
Material: Silver
Dimensions: 225 mm H x 208 mm Dia
What: Cup, communion
Subject:
Who: J. Wardlaw
John Wardlaw (Maker)
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh, Greyfriars Kirk
Event:
Description: Silver communion cup from Greyfriars Kirk by John Wardlaw, Edinburgh, 1644
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 11 of 78 > Back
 
Powered by Scran