Record

Communion Cup

< 10 of 78 > Back

From Greyfriars' Kirk, Edinburgh

Postcard of Communion Cup.
000-100-102-899-C
© National Museums Scotland

Communion Cup

This silver communion cup is one of a pair from Greyfriars' Kirk in Edinburgh. The pair was made by Edinburgh silversmith John Wardlaw in 1644. Two cups of the same type were made for Greyfriars in 1633-5 by Thomas Cleghorne, also of Edinburgh.

The cup has a deep bowl and a circular stem with a central knop. Cups of this form were acquired by a large number of parishes in the east of Scotland at this time.

Opened in 1620, Greyfriars' Kirk was originally known as the 'Church of the South-west Parish of Edinburgh'. It was one of the first three Scottish post-Reformation churches, along with the Tron Kirk in Edinburgh, and Burntisland Church in Fife.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-102-899-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  Q.L.1950.22
Date: 1644
Material: Silver
Dimensions: 225 mm H x 208 mm Dia
What: Cup, communion
Subject:
Who: J. Wardlaw
John Wardlaw, Edinburgh (Silversmith)
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh, Greyfriars Kirk
Event:
Description: Silver communion cup from Greyfriars Kirk by John Wardlaw, Edinburgh, 1644
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 10 of 78 > Back
 
Powered by Scran