NMS


 

Record

Trade token

< 3 of 102 > Back

Made in Edinburgh

Trade token
Add to album

This is the obverse and reverse of a halfpenny trade token made in Edinburgh in 1796.

The obverse, on the left, depicts Register House in Edinburgh, the building designed by Robert Adam to house Scotland's public records. The reverse, on the right, depicts Britannia seated, with part of a ship at her side.

Adam began work on Register House in 1774. It was built on ground given by the City of Edinburgh in an attempt to encourage development of the New Town at the north end of the newly opened North Bridge.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 3 of 102 > Back