NMS


 

Record

Panel from the Joiners' Gallery

< 35 of 51 > Back

From Dunfermline Abbey, Fife

Panel from the Joiners' Gallery
Add to album

This gallery front panel is from the 'Joiners' Gallery' in Dunfermline Abbey. It is carved from wood and dates from the late 17th or early 18th century.

The motto at the top of the panel reads: 'God Bless the Joiners of Dun'.

Although church interiors were stripped of their decoration after the Reformation in 1560, lofts, galleries and pews began to be decorated with carved and painted armorial and trade devices, and adorned with rich cushions and velvets.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 35 of 51 > Back