NMS


 

Record

Porcelain mug made at West Pans, East Lothian

< 14 of 20 > Back
Porcelain mug made at West Pans, East Lothian
Add to album

This porcelain mug is one of a pair made around 1770 by William Littler's factory at West Pans in East Lothian. The mugs were produced for Sir David Dalrymple's farm at Over Hailes, in the parish of Prestonkirk.

The mugs are painted with the crest and motto of the Dalrymple family.

William Littler arrived in Scotland in the early 1760s after the failure of his Longton Hall factory in Staffordshire. The founder of Scotland's porcelain industry, his factory made high quality, if uneconomical, wares until its closure in 1777.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 14 of 20 > Back