Record

Flask, used by Joseph Black

< 236 of 493 > Back

possibly made at Leith

Postcard of Flask, used by Joseph Black.
000-100-044-144-C
© National Museums Scotland

Flask, used by Joseph Black

This glass flask was used in classroom demonstrations or experiments by Professor Joseph Black (1728-99) at Edinburgh University. It was made in the late 18th century, possibly at Leith.

The pale-green flask is flat-bottomed.

In addition to his academic duties as Professor of Chemistry at Edinburgh University, Black had an extensive private practice, both as a physician and as a consultant to some of the new industries then developing in Scotland.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-044-144-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  T.1858.275.43
Date: 1766 - 1799
Late 18th century
Material: Glass
Dimensions:
What: Bottle, globular
Subject: 4. CHEMISTRY, Apparatus and instruments, general (Departmental Classification)
Who: Edinburgh University (Owner)
Joseph Black (Owner)
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh, Leith
Event:
Description: One of a collection of apparatus and instruments from Edinburgh University used by Professors Black, Hope and Gregory - 4 globular bottles used by Dr Joseph Black, 1766 - 1799, supposedly made at Leith
References:
  • Anderson, R. G. W. 'A Source for 18th century Chemical Glass' in Dragoni, G., McConnell, A. & Turner, G. L'E. (eds.), Proceedings of the Eleventh International Scientific Instrument Symposium, Bologna, 1991. Bologna: 1994, pp 47-52 
  • Anderson, R. G. W., The Playfair Collection. Edinburgh: 1978, p 140,142-7 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 236 of 493 > Back
 
Powered by Scran