Record

Harness Junction

< 10 of 23 > Back

from Newstead, Roxburghshire

Postcard of Harness Junction.
000-100-037-066-C
© National Museums Scotland

Harness Junction

This brass harness junction is one of a number of similar loops found during excavations at the site of the Roman fort at Newstead in Roxburghshire. It formed part of the harness fittings for the auxiliary cavalry horses, used between 80 and 100 AD.

The loop is damaged near one of the holes, which were probably originally filled with metal studs.

Excavations at Newstead have revealed much about the layout, daily life and equipment in Roman camps in Scotland. The Roman cavalry needed a range of equipment for its horses, some for everyday use and some for ceremonies.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-037-066-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  X.FRA 512
Date: Between 80 and 100 AD
Material: Brass; five perforations for studs; heart-shaped terminal
Dimensions:
What: Junction loop
Subject:
Who: Newstead Collection
Where: Scotland, Roxburghshire, Melrose, Newstead
Event:
Description: Brass junction loop from Newstead
References:
  • Curle, J. A Roman frontier post and its people: the fort of Newstead. Glasgow: MacLehose, 1911, Pl. LXXII. 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 10 of 23 > Back
 
Powered by Scran