NMS


 

Record

Earthenware ewer

< 23 of 54 > Back

Made at Prestonpans, East Lothian

Earthenware ewer
Add to album

This earthenware ewer was made between around 1835 to 1839 at George Gordon's factory at Prestonpans in East Lothian. The factory also produced a matching washbowl.

The ewer has a transfer-printed pattern of the 'Lady of the Lake'. The inspiration for the print was Sir Walter Scott's epic poem centred round the Trossachs.

Good supplies of coal and clay and easy transport by sea meant that the south side of the Firth of Forth was an ideal location for potteries to develop. Small-scale works existed there from the 17th century and larger factories developed from around 1750

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 23 of 54 > Back