NMS


 

Record

Seal Matrix, of the Burgh of Portsburgh, now part of Edinburgh

< 163 of 1524 > Back
Seal Matrix, of the Burgh of Portsburgh, now part of Edinburgh
Add to album

This is the seal matrix of the Burgh of Portsburgh, now part of Edinburgh. It dates from around 1650 and is made of silver.

The circular matrix depicts a three-towered castle on a rock. The Latin inscription translates as: 'Seal of the Burgh of Edinburgh for its Barony of Portsburgh'. The matrix has a suspension loop.

As centres of local government, burghs had their own seals which were used on documents to represent identity, authority and status. Like coats-of-arms, the images on them illustrate aspects of the burghs' origins and activities.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 163 of 1524 > Back