Record

Tirling pin and door (Fragment)

< 16 of 31 > Back

From Mary of Guise's House, Blyth's Close, Edinburgh

Postcard of Tirling pin and door (Fragment).
000-100-001-318-C
© National Museums Scotland

Tirling pin and door (Fragment)

Tirling pins were fitted on town house doors. They consisted of a ring and a serrated rod, along which the ring could be rattled. This 16th-century example is from the house in Edinburgh's High Street thought to have been lived in by Mary of Guise.

The tirling pin is attached to part of the original door.

Mary of Guise (1515-1560) was the wife of James V and the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. She acted as Governor from 1554 but her pro-French policy resulted in rebellion by Protestant nobles in 1559.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-001-318-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.MJ 175
Date: 16th century
Material: Iron
Dimensions: 348 mm L X 191 mm W X 88 mm depth
What: Pin, tirling / door / portion
Subject: Locks, keys, etc. (NMAS Classification)
Who:
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh (Mary of Guise's house)
Event:
Description: Iron tirling pin with a portion of the door from the house of Mary of Guise
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 16 of 31 > Back
 
Powered by Scran