NMS


 

Record

Targe, owned by Prince Charles Edward Stewart

< 4 of 33 > Back
Targe, owned by Prince Charles Edward Stewart
Add to album

A targe is a circular Highland battle shield made of wood and covered with leather. This example was presented to Prince Charles Edward Stewart in 1740 by James, 3rd Duke of Perth.

The targe is made in the traditional highland way, with overlapping wooden boards covered in pigskin. It is, however, much more elaborately decorated than most Highland targes and its silver mounts were probably added in London in 1740.

The targe was rescued from Culloden battlefield in 1746 by Jacobite colonel Ewan MacPherson of Cluny and remained in his family until the 20th century.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 4 of 33 > Back