NMS


 

Record

Door of carved oak

< 368 of 971 > Back

From Mary of Guise's House, Blyth's Close, Edinburgh

Door of carved oak
Add to album

This oak door is from a house in Blyth's Close in Edinburgh, which is thought to have been occupied by Mary of Guise between 1542 and 1554. The door dates from the early 16th century.

The door has 'linen fold' panels which create a pleated effect. Of the original six panels, two are missing and a third is incomplete.

Mary of Guise (1515-1560) was the wife of James V and the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. She acted as Governor from 1554 but her pro-French policy resulted in rebellion by Protestant nobles in 1559.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 368 of 971 > Back