Door of carved oak

< 8 of 98 > Back

From Mary of Guise's House, Blyth's Close, Edinburgh

Postcard of Door of carved oak.
© National Museums Scotland

Door of carved oak

This oak door is from a house in Blyth's Close in Edinburgh, which is thought to have been occupied by Mary of Guise between 1542 and 1554. The door dates from the early 16th century.

The door has 'linen fold' panels which create a pleated effect. Of the original six panels, two are missing and a third is incomplete.

Mary of Guise (1515-1560) was the wife of James V and the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. She acted as Governor from 1554 but her pro-French policy resulted in rebellion by Protestant nobles in 1559.

Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-000-663-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.KL 127
Date: 16th century
Early 16th century
Material: Wood, oak
Dimensions: 1740 mm H x 617 mm W x 25 mm D
What: Door
Subject: Carved woodwork, painted ceilings (NMAS Classification)
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh (Blyth's Close, Mary of Guise's
Description: Oak door from Mary of Guise's house in Blyth's Close, Lawnmarket, Edinburgh, 16th century
Related Records:
< 8 of 98 > Back
Powered by Scran