NMS


 

Record

Wall panelling of carved and painted oak

< 11 of 78 > Back

Killochan Castle, near Girvan, Ayrshire

Wall panelling of carved and painted oak
Add to album

This section of oak wall panelling comes from Killochan Castle near Girvan in Ayrshire. It dates from the mid to late 16th century, with the framework and the inscribed heraldic panel being added in 1606.

The figures in the upper panels are in mid-16th-century costume and were once coloured in polychrome. They possibly represent members of the Cathcart family. The young man may be John Cathcart who built additions to Killochan Castle in 1586.

The style of ornamentation on the panelling was popular during James V's reign, when Sir James Hamilton of Finnart was the Royal Master of Works. He is credited with introducing this Renaissance art to Stirling Castle.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 11 of 78 > Back