NMS


 

Record

Ceiling panel from Dean House, Edinburgh - showing the Sense of Sight

< 189 of 1524 > Back

From Dean House, Edinburgh

Ceiling panel from Dean House, Edinburgh - showing the Sense of Sight
Add to album

This panel is one of a series which made up a painted ceiling in the great hall at Dean House in Edinburgh. Seven panels have survived from the ceiling which was painted between 1605 and 1627.

The seated lady with the looking glass represents the Sense of Sight against the landscape of Edinburgh. Arthur's Seat, the Canongate, the High Street and St Giles are to the left, the castle to the right.

Dean House stood on the site of what is now Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh. Dean House, with its crowstepped gable, was built in 1614 for the Nisbets of Dean. William Nisbet of Dean, Lord Provost of Edinburgh, was knighted by James VI in 1617. The house was used as a romantic setting for James Ballantyne's novel Miller of Deanhaugh.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 189 of 1524 > Back