Record

Ceiling panel from Dean House, Edinburgh

< 204 of 971 > Back
Postcard of Ceiling panel from Dean House, Edinburgh.
000-100-000-625-C
© National Museums Scotland

Ceiling panel from Dean House, Edinburgh

This panel is one of a series which made up a painted ceiling in the great hall at Dean House in Edinburgh. Seven panels have survived from the ceiling which was painted between 1605 and 1627.

This panel depicts King David playing his harp. Medieval painters customarily used contemporary interiors as the setting for Bible paintings.

Dean House stood on the site of what is now Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh. William Nisbet of Dean, Lord Provost of Edinburgh, bought the mills of Dean, the lands and 'farm toun of Dean', and a share of grazing ground in the neighbouring 'hieland mure' in 1609. He built a baronial home, Dean House, on the Dean estate in 1614.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-000-625-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.KL 70
Date: 1605 - 1627
Between 1605 and 1627
Material: Wood, painted
Dimensions: 1080 mm H x 1090 mm W x 40 mm Th
What: Panel, ceiling
Subject: Carved woodwork, painted ceilings (NMAS Classification)
Who: C.K. Sharpe Collection
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh, Dean House
Event:
Description: One of seven painted ceiling panels from Dean House, Edinburgh, showing King David playing his harp, painted between 1605 and 1627
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 204 of 971 > Back
 
Powered by Scran