Record

Communion cups

< 14 of 26 > Back

From Associate Congregation Church of Coupar Angus Perthshire

Postcard of Communion cups.
000-100-000-514-C
© National Museums Scotland

Communion cups

This pair of pewter communion cups comes from the Associate Congregation Church of Coupar Angus in Perthshire. The cups date from 1818. This style of cup became common in the 19th century and was made in vast numbers in Scotland and in English centres.

The cups are engraved with the inscription: 'Assote. Congregation Coupar Angus 1818'.

The Associate Congregation was one of the groups that broke from the established Church of Scotland at the original secession in 1733. Secessions and the Disruption of 1843 increased the need for communion cups, basins and lavers.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-000-514-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.KJ 197
Date: 1818
1818
Material: Pewter. Inscription: ASSOTE. CONGREGATION COUPAR ANGUS 1818
Pewter. Inscription: ASSOTE. CONGREGATION COUPAR ANGUS 1818
Dimensions: 215 mm H x 132 mm Dia (rim); 118 mm Dia (base)
215 mm H x 132 mm Dia (rim); 118 mm Dia (base)
What: Cup, communion
Cup, communion
Subject: Ecclesiastical, miscellaneous, vestments (NMAS Classification)
Ecclesiastical, miscellaneous, vestments (NMAS Classification)
Who: Associate Congregation of Coupar Angus (Owner)
Associate Congregation of Coupar Angus (Owner)
Sturrock Collection
Sturrock Collection
Where:
Event:
Description: One of two pewter communion cups of the Associate Congregation of Coupar Angus, dated 1818
One of two pewter communion cups of the Associate Congregation of Coupar Angus, dated 1818
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 14 of 26 > Back
 
Powered by Scran