NMS


 

Record

Chanter for Northumbrian small-pipes

< 249 of 1138 > Back

by Robert Reid, North Shields, Northumberland, c. 1830

Chanter for Northumbrian small-pipes
Add to album

Chanter for Northumbrian small-pipes by Robert Reid of North Shields, Northumberland, c. 1830. Image showing the back of the chanter. Thirteen round closed keys mounted on raised sections of the chanter; ivory with ivory stock, inscribed 'REID' three times on the front of the chanter; broken into two pieces and all keys removed. Formerly stock of J. and R. Glen, Edinburgh, or from the collection of the firm's proprietors.

Robert Reid (1895-1965) was born and brought up at Slamannan in Stirlingshire, and was taught piping by John MacDougall Gillies. He served in France and Palestine in the First World War and became Pipe Major of the 7th Battalion the HLI. He was a noted prize-winner in piping competitions and published a book of bagpipe music, 'The Piper's Delight', in about 1933. He had a bagpipe-making business at 60 George Street, Glasgow, from 1932 until 1957.

This piece comes from the Glen and Ross Collection of musical instruments which were preserved in the shop of 'J & R Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers' until it closed about 1978. This was the business founded in 1827 by Thomas McBean Glen in the Cowgate in Edinburgh, dealing in and repairing musical instruments. His brother, Alexander Glen, specialized in bagpipe-making and was succeeded by his son David. Thomas' sons, John and Robert Glen, succeeding to the business in 1866, probably did most to collect instruments and their antiquarian interests were carried on by Andrew Ross who acquired the business from the Glens in 1947. The National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland purchased the bagpipe collections from the family in 1983.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 249 of 1138 > Back