NMS


 

Record

Andrew Ross, Sr. and Andrew Ross, Jr. cutting sheepskin for pipe bags

< 11 of 479 > Back
Andrew Ross, Sr. and Andrew Ross, Jr. cutting sheepskin for pipe bags
Add to album

Black and white photograph of Andrew Ross Sr. and Andrew Ross Jr. cutting sheepskin for pipe bags in their shop, J. and R. Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers, Edinburgh.

John and Robert Glen were the proprietors of a bagpipe-making and musical instrument repair business in Edinburgh in the late 19th century. The business was founded in 1827 in the Cowgate, moving later to North Bank Street, Edinburgh, by their father, Thomas McBean Glen (1804-1873), who in 1833 described himself in the business directories of the city as 'pipe and flute maker'. His sons, John (1833-1904) and Robert (1835-1911), took over the business in 1866. In 1911, the premises moved to 497 Lawnmarket where it survived as 'J & R Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers' until 1978.

This image comes from the Glen and Ross Collection of musical instruments which were preserved in the shop of 'J & R Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers' until it closed about 1978. This was the business founded in 1827 by Thomas McBean Glen in the Cowgate in Edinburgh, dealing in and repairing musical instruments. His brother, Alexander Glen, specialized in bagpipe-making and was succeeded by his son David. Thomas' sons, John and Robert Glen, succeeding to the business in 1866, probably did most to collect instruments and their antiquarian interests were carried on by Andrew Ross who acquired the business from the Glens in 1947. The National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland purchased the bagpipe collections from the family in 1983.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 11 of 479 > Back