NMS


 

Record

Model of Dundee Townhouse

< 1 of 61 > Back

designed by William Adam

Model of Dundee Townhouse
Add to album

The Dundee Townhouse or the Pillars, as it became known, was designed by William Adam and built between 1732 and 1734. It acted as a market, exchange and meeting place for the town council.

This model, made from red pine, shows considerable attention to detail. Original watch faces have been used to represent the dials of the spire clock. When the spire is removed, it is possible to see evidence of modelling techniques.

William Adam, 1688-1748, had diverse business interests, but his main occupation was as architect and builder. His first major commission was Hopetoun House in West Lothian. Another example of his work is Duff House.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 1 of 61 > Back