Record

Ashet

< 10 of 107 > Back

probably made in Bo'ness, West Lothian

Postcard of Ashet.
000-180-002-442-C
© National Museums Scotland

Ashet

This cream glazed earthenware ashet was made between around 1826 and 1860, probably by J. Jamieson of Bo'ness in West Lothian.

The ashet is decorated with a transfer-printed pattern called 'Bosphorus'.

Good supplies of coal and clay and easy transport by sea meant that the south side of the Firth of Forth was an ideal location for potteries to develop. Small-scale works existed there from the 17th century and larger factories developed from around 1750.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-180-002-442-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0504: National Museums Scotland Part 2
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.MEK 614
Date: Between around 1826 and 1860
Material: Cream glazed earthenware
Dimensions: 300 mm approx L x 255 mm approx W
What:
Subject: Post-medieval pottery and porcelain (NMAS Classification)
Who: J. Jamieson?, Bo'ness (Maker)
Where: Scotland, West Lothian, Bo'ness
Event:
Description: Cream glazed earthenware ashet with a black transfer-printed pattern, with a shallow base and slightly inward sloping rim, probably by J. Jamieson of Bo'ness
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 10 of 107 > Back
 
Powered by Scran