NMS


 

Record

Ampulla (1st side)

< 108 of 7302 > Back

found near Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh

Ampulla (1st side)
Add to album

This lead alloy ampulla or pilgrim's flask was found near Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh. It dates from the early 13th century.

This side is decorated with an altar with candlesticks and a cross.

Ampullae or pilgrim flasks were introduced to Europe from the Holy Land, Egypt and Byzantium, and inspired the production of large numbers of pewter or lead alloy pilgrim flasks in the West. The best known European examples were made at Canterbury and contained 'Canterbury water': water tinged with the merest suspicion of St Thomas Becket's blood. St Thomas was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral in December 1170, and small ampullae containing 'Canterbury water' were available within a few years.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 108 of 7302 > Back