Record

Jug

< 74 of 226 > Back

similar to pottery made in Cumnock, East Ayrshire

Postcard of Jug.
000-100-103-897-C
© National Museums Scotland

Jug

This unmarked glazed earthenware jug is similar to pottery made by the Cumnock Pottery in Ayrshire. It was probably made in Torquay and dates from the second half of the 19th century.

The jug has a very short neck and a plain loop handle. The main part of the exterior is cream glazed, incised on one side with the inscription 'Straucht frae/the Coo'.

A pottery was originally established in Cumnock by James Taylor in 1792. In the second half of the 19th century it became well known for its 'couthy' motto ware.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-103-897-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.MEK 616
Date: 1850 - 1900
Second half of the 19th century
Material: Inscription: Straight frae / the Coo
Dimensions: 70 mm H x 40 mm D (base) x 38 mm D (rim)
What:
Subject: Post-medieval pottery and porcelain (NMAS Classification)
Who: Cumnock (Imitation Cumnock ware)
Where:
Event:
Description: Cream and brown glazed imitation Cumnock ware jug, with straight sides, a circular base, a very short neck and a plain loop handle, with an inscription on one side, 1850 - 1900
References:
  • Quail, G. The Cumnock Pottery. Ayrshire Archaeological & Natural History Society: 1993. 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 74 of 226 > Back
 
Powered by Scran