Communion basin

< 1 of 1 > Back

From Greyfriar's Church, Edinburgh

Postcard of Communion basin.
© National Museums Scotland

Communion basin

This silver communion basin from Greyfriars' Church was made in 1649 by Andrew Burrell, a goldsmith in Edinburgh. An Act of Parliament of 1617 decreed that churches were required to provide such basins for baptism.

The basin has a deep bowl and a wide rim inscribed with the words: 'For The Sovth Wast Qvarter Of Edinbvrgh' - the original name of Greyfriars.

Opened on Christmas Day 1620, Greyfriars' Kirk was one of the first three Scottish post-Reformation churches. The others were the Tron Kirk in Edinburgh, and Burntisland Church in Fife.

Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-102-902-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  Q.L.1950.25
Date: 1649
Material: Silver
Dimensions: 75 mm H x 370 mm Dia
What: Basin, communion
Who: Andrew Burrell, Edinburgh (Maker)
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh, Greyfriars Kirk
Description: Silver communion basin with a deep bowl and wide rim from Greyfriars Kirk, by Andrew Burrell, Edinburgh, 1649
  • Burns, T. 'Old Scottish Communion Plate'. Edinburgh: R&R Clark, 1892 p521 
Related Records:
< 1 of 1 > Back
Powered by Scran