Record

Trade token (obverse), Halfpenny (proof), of John Pilmer, Dundee, Angus

< 1 of 1 > Back
Postcard of Trade token (obverse), Halfpenny (proof), of John Pilmer, Dundee, Angus.
000-100-083-548-C

Trade token (obverse), Halfpenny (proof), of John Pilmer, Dundee, Angus

This is the obverse of a copper proof halfpenny trade token of John Pilmer of Dundee in Angus. Dated 1797, the token was designed by James Wright Junior and manufactured by Kempson. The die-sinker was Wyon.

The obverse depicts the Town House, built in 1732-1734 on the site of St Clement's Church and a tolbooth. The date is split on either side of the spire - 17 to the left and 97 to the right.

Designed in 1731 by the Scottish architect, William Adam, the Town House became a popular meeting place in Dundee. It also housed the council chambers, offices, courtroom and a gaol. It was demolished when the Caird Hall and City Chambers were built.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-083-548-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.1995.330
Date: 1797
Material: Copper; proof; dark toning, no evidence of wear. Inscription: Obv: star DUNDEE HALFPENNY .; a large building with spire, 17 to left, 97 to right; in exergue, TOWN HOUSE / FINISHED 17
Dimensions: 29 mm D / Die Axis: 6.5
What: Trade token, half penny
Subject: Trade tokens
Who: J. Wright (Designer)
John Pilmer, Church Lane, Dundee (Issuer)
Where: Scotland, Angus, Dundee
Event:
Description: Copper halfpenny trade token of Dundee, issued by John Pilmer, Church Lane, designed by J. Wright, 1797
References:
  • Dalton and Hamer, ANgusshire 17 
  • Dalton, R & Hamer, S.H. 'The Provincial Token-Coinage of the 18th Century, Illustrated, Part XII: Scotland'. 1916 p. (ii) 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 1 of 1 > Back
 
Powered by Scran