Record

Bottle

< 8 of 23 > Back

made in Alloa, Clackmannanshire

Postcard of Bottle.
000-100-080-689-C
© National Museums Scotland

Bottle

This green glass bottle, dated 1849, was produced by the Alloa Glassworks in Clackmannanshire.

The front of the bottle is stipple engraved with a representation of Alloa Glassworks.

Glass-making was introduced to Alloa in 1750 by Lady Frances Erskine of Mar, whose family was influential in the town's history. The town has a preserved 19th century glass cone - a brick-built kiln which is the last of its kind in Scotland.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-080-689-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.1994.1110
Date: 1849
Material: Green glass, stipple engraved. Inscription: Agnes Struthers / 1849
Dimensions: 210 mm H x 140 mm DIA
What:
Subject:
Who: Agnes Struthers
Alloa Glassworks, Alloa (Maker)
Where: Scotland, Clackmannanshire, Alloa
Scotland, Clackmannanshire, Alloa (glassworks)
Event:
Description: Bottle of green glass, onion-shaped and stipple engraved with Alloa Glassworks and inscribed to Agnes Struthers, made by Alloa Glassworks, 1849
References:
  • Keay, J. & J. (eds). Collins Encyclopaedia of Scotland. London: HarperCollins, 1994, p 26. 
Translations:
Related Records:
< 8 of 23 > Back
 
Powered by Scran