Record

Earthenware washbowl

< 14 of 26 > Back

Made at Prestonpans, East Lothian

Postcard of Earthenware washbowl.
000-100-045-990-C
© National Museums Scotland

Earthenware washbowl

This earthenware washbowl was made between around 1835 to 1839 at George Gordon's factory at Prestonpans in East Lothian. The factory also produced a matching ewer.

The washbowl has a transfer-printed pattern of the 'Lady of the Lake'. The inspiration for the print was Sir Walter Scott's epic poem centred round the Trossachs.

Good supplies of coal and clay and easy transport by sea meant that the south side of the Firth of Forth was an ideal location for potteries to develop. Small-scale works existed there from the 17th century and larger factories developed from around 1750


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-045-990-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.1991.6
Date: Between around 1835 and 1839
c. 1835 - 1839
Material: Earthenware, glazed; everted rim; blue and white transfer printed pattern. Inscription: Geo Gordon
Dimensions: 122 mm H x 339 mm D
What: Washbowl
Subject: Post-medieval pottery and porcelain (NMAS Classification)
Who: George Gordon, Prestonpans (Maker)
Lady of the Lake
Where: Scotland, East Lothian, Prestonpans
Event:
Description: Glazed earthenware washbowl with blue and white transfer-printed pattern depicting `The Lady of the Lake', by George Gordon, Prestonpans, East Lothian, c. 1835 - 1839
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 14 of 26 > Back
 
Powered by Scran