Record

Battledore

< 20 of 226 > Back

probably used at Holyrood Flint Glassworks, Edinburgh

Postcard of Battledore.
000-100-044-087-C
© National Museums Scotland

Battledore

A battledore is a tool used in glass-making for flattening the bottom of vessels. This example was used in the manufacture of flint glass, probably at the Holyrood Flint Glassworks in Edinburgh. It dates from around 1850 and is made of steel, with a hardwood handle.

One of a collection of specimens illustrating the manufacture of flint glass - a battledore or palate

The making of bottle glass began in the 17th century and became important in the 18th. To this tradition was added the making of better quality glass, and by the 1860s Edinburgh was recognized as a world leader in the manufacture of engraved table glassware.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-044-087-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  T.1857.207.A.10
Date: Around 1850
Material:
Dimensions: 30 mm H x 262 mm x 30 mm
What: Specimen / flint glass / manufacture / battledore / palate
Subject: 14. INDUSTRIES, Glass (Departmental Classification)
Who:
Where:
Event:
Description:
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 20 of 226 > Back
 
Powered by Scran