Record

Door of carved oak

< 3 of 83 > Back

From Mary of Guise's House, Blyth's House, Edinburgh

Postcard of Door of carved oak.
000-100-000-610-C
© National Museums Scotland

Door of carved oak

This oak door is from a house in Blyth's Close in Edinburgh, which is thought to have been occupied by Mary of Guise between 1542 and 1554. The door dates from the mid 16th century.

The coats of arms are of later occupiers of the house (from 1557) - Alexander Aitchison and his wife Helen Reid. The arms are obviously a later addition to the door.

Mary of Guise (1515-1560) was the wife of James V and the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. She acted as Governor from 1554 but her pro-French policy resulted in rebellion by Protestant nobles in 1559.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-100-000-610-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.KL 38
Date: Mid 16th century
Material: Wood, oak
Dimensions: 1820 mm H x 870 mm W x 80 mm Th
What: Door
Subject: Carved woodwork, painted ceilings (NMAS Classification)
Who:
Where: Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh (Blyth's Close, Mary of Guise's
Event:
Description: Oak door said to be from Mary of Guise's house, Blyth's Close, Edinburgh, with decorative motifs typical of Scottish work of the mid 16th century
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 3 of 83 > Back
 
Powered by Scran