NMS


 

Record

Communion cup

< 16 of 110 > Back

From Rosneath Parish Church, Dumbartonshire

Communion cup
Add to album

This silver communion cup is one of the earliest known to have been used by the Reformed Church. It was one of two that were long in the possession of Rosneath Parish Church in Dumbartonshire. It was made by John Mosman of Edinburgh in 1585-1586.

The communion cup copies a contemporary style of wine cup. John Mosman's punch appears twice on the bowl of the cup as he was both the maker and the deacon of the Incorporation of Goldsmiths.

John Mosman was admitted as a master of the Incorporation of Goldsmiths in 1575. He was a member of a family of goldsmiths going back to the late 15th century, one of whom was responsible for the re-making of the Scottish Crown in 1540.

Record details

To search on related items, click any underlined text below.


< 16 of 110 > Back