Record

Bagpipe chanter for the Uilleann pipes

< 32 of 190 > Back

by Robert Scott, London, c. 1825

Postcard of Bagpipe chanter for the Uilleann pipes.
000-000-579-644-C
© National Museums Scotland

Bagpipe chanter for the Uilleann pipes

Bagpipe chanter with double bore for the Uilleann pipes by Robert Scott of London, c. 1825, with two narrow conical bores within the body of the chanter with 6 fingerholes and one thumbhole. Four closed square flat brass keys with bevelled edges, marked respectively F, G, A, and B; the chanter has a brass open standing key for the lowest fingerhole covering a hole underneath the touch piece. Boxwood, stained and polished; marked 'SCOTT' twice and also 'PATENTEE' with a coat of arms. The posterior bore has previously been blocked off to sound only when one key is touched. A ferrule is missing from the foot of the chanter.

John and Robert Glen were the proprietors of a bagpipe-making and musical instrument repair business in Edinburgh in the late 19th century. The business was founded in 1827 in the Cowgate, moving later to North Bank Street, Edinburgh, by their father, Thomas McBean Glen (1804-1873), who in 1833 described himself in the business directories of the city as 'pipe and flute maker'. His sons, John (1833-1904) and Robert (1835-1911), took over the business in 1866. In 1911, the premises moved to 497 Lawnmarket where it survived as 'J & R Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers' until 1978.

This piece comes from the Glen and Ross Collection of musical instruments which were preserved in the shop of 'J & R Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers' until it closed about 1978. This was the business founded in 1827 by Thomas McBean Glen in the Cowgate in Edinburgh, dealing in and repairing musical instruments. His brother, Alexander Glen, specialized in bagpipe-making and was succeeded by his son David. Thomas' sons, John and Robert Glen, succeeding to the business in 1866, probably did most to collect instruments and their antiquarian interests were carried on by Andrew Ross who acquired the business from the Glens in 1947. The National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland purchased the bagpipe collections from the family in 1983.


Record details

To search on related items, click any linked text below.

Online ID: 000-000-579-644-C
Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland
Project: 0869: The Bagpipe Collection
Project description | View all records in project
Ref: National Museums Scotland  H.1995.731
Date: c.1825 (date of manufacture)
Material: Boxwood
Dimensions: 377 mm L
What:
Subject:
Who: Andrew Ross (successor to John and Robert Glen)
Glen and Ross Collection (musical instrument collection)
John and Robert Glen, Highland Bagpipe Makers (manufacturer)
Museum of Piping, Glasgow (place of display)
Where: England, London (place of manufacture)
Event:
Description: Bagpipe chanter for the Uilleann pipes of stained and polished boxwood.
References:
Translations:
Related Records:
< 32 of 190 > Back
 
Powered by Scran